[MPlayer-dev-eng] Patch: Jack audio output

Ed Wildgoose lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Nov 3 17:39:55 CET 2004

Hi Reimar,

>Any comments on this? Otherwise I might consider applying even though I
>can't test...

That would be excellent if you could.  Chris and I are just testing some
last changes to bio2jack before releasing the new version, but I don't
think that it will change the patch at this stage.

>But without that change...
>

>>-long JACK_Write(int deviceID, char *data, unsigned long bytes); /* returns the number of bytes written */
>>+long JACK_Write(int deviceID, unsigned char *data, unsigned long bytes); /* returns the number of bytes written */
>>

>as char and unsigned char both don't really make sense to me, as data
>has no specific format...

OK, well it makes no odds to me!  The only reason was that the API now
defines it as "unsigned" rather than "signed".  C++ compilers seem to
care that you cast these correctly, but since we have our own
definitions here, and as you say the data is never mangled, then it's no
big deal either way.

I'm hoping to convert a growing following to the benefits of really high
end audio via some clever stuff involving jack.  So this patch really
does lay the groundwork for mplayer to go head to head with a super
expensive surround processor.  There is a lot of interest in this kind
of thing at the various home theatre enthusiast groups (the windows
crowd are green with envy basically)

Thanks again

Ed W