[MPlayer-dev-eng] XviD 1.1.x support

Guillaume POIRIER guillaume.poirier at ifsic.univ-rennes1.fr
Sat Oct 2 10:37:37 CEST 2004

Le sam 02/10/2004 à 02:05, Diego Biurrun a écrit :
> Guillaume POIRIER writes:
> Cosmetic changes are generally frowned upon and only allowed under
> special circumstances.  Synching with external libraries is one of
> them, though.

Ok, so given that XviD is an external lib, am I right to understand that
this allows exceptional cosmetics... right?

I feel like I'm repeating myself, but I'd like to make clear that my
only concern is to provide small pieces of code to make the move to XviD
1.1.x smoother, and, maybe even more important, make the life of others
XviD front-end maintainers easier:
On one side, there's MEncoder vanilla front-end that is outdated (not by
far, I agree) but works.
On the other side, there's Edouard's front-end that also works, is
easier to understand and is maintained.

My patches allows to get closer to Edouard's front-end, in order to be
able to get Edouard's updates to his front-end reviewed and merged
quicker in the near future, since Edouard's and vanilla's front-end will
be very similar.

> > Please, people, tell me if I'm awfully wrong here, but try to convince
> > me with good arguments (one that I'm open to hear could be: "you're not
> > the maintainer of that code, so get outta here!" -> unfortunately, I
> > don't see anyone being the official maintainer of XviD in
> > DOCS/tech/MAINTAINERS, so I guess that's one thing that should be
> > written somewhere).
>
> Ivan Kalvachev is the maintainer.  And yes, he should add himself to
> DOCS/tech/MAINTAINERS.

It's been a month since the new frond-end has been issued, and
_apparently_, Ivan hasn't posted updates to this piece of code.
I agree that we all have our lives (I do too ;-), so maybe he doesn't
have much time to throw at it.
He's probably hanging out with top models, which in contrast make C code
much less appealing ;-p

That's the only reason why I'm offering my help, so that Ivan can stay
cool with the birds ;-)

Isn't that great? :-)

When I have more time, I'll send the last blast of patches. Hopefully,
given that those will not be cosmetics, they should be easier to get
accepted by the dev crowd. ;-)

But please, I you, or Ivan think that the job should stay like this
half-finished (and so close to the goal!), I can get out of the way, you
know! ;-)

Guillaume