[MPlayer-dev-eng] a few nut suggestions [seeking algorithm]

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Oct 5 03:30:51 CEST 2004

Hi

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 02:58, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 01:55:19AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
> > the short startcodes while cute serve no purpose at all
>
> i disagree. they allow you to have a reasonable degree of error
> resilience without putting tons of syncpoints (which cause massive
> overhead).

u can have the same by adding a few fixed bits into the framecode or adding
some fixed bytes afterwards, it doesnt require any change to the spec or
(de)muxers

> > the syncpoints instead of keyframe based indexes create a heap of
> > problems which we havnt found solutions for yet
>
> but it also solved a heap of problems, like when full-timestamps had
> to be coded, which stream to base the index on,

every stream should have an index

> the whole debate about
> whether all keyframes have a startcode (infeasible for intra-only!) or
> just some & which ones, etc. i agree with you totally that a keyframe
> based index is _nicer_ from a seeking standpoint, but i just don't
> know how to write sane guidelines for which keyframes you assign
> startcodes too. so in the absence of a good rule, i prefer having no
> rule at all, and instead dispersing syncpoints with max_distance. this
> also aids in error recovery a lot, since you can rely on max_distance,
> which would not be possible if just keyframes had startcodes...
>
> > but please dont missunderstand me, if i do fork nut iam not doing it with
> > the goal to finish it alone, instead its supposed to be some experimental
> > variant which i can freely change as i like without long discussions and
> > which we will hopefully merge back at the end
>
> i don't misunderstand, and i won't hold it against you. but imo we
> should decide what to do with the name. it's bad if there are two
> incompatible containers floating around both called nut. do you want
> to rename yours, or do you want us (me, alex, whoever else..) to
> rename ours? if we need to rename, i have some good names in mind
> still from the original list... :)

i wanted to name my nut experiment mncf, so u can than make rfcf, abcf,
ikcf, ... thats nice and systematic :)

[...]
--
Michael

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it." -- Voltaire