[MPlayer-dev-eng] new nut thread

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Oct 8 04:13:15 CEST 2004

Hi

On Friday 08 October 2004 00:10, D Richard Felker III wrote:
[...]
> 3. keyframe backpointers at syncpoints
>
> proposed by me
> i'm unsure whether it's helpful or wasteful

well, i dont like the idea at all, but i dont know an alternative which would
work without an index and without simply repeating the keyframes, later is
obviously worse then pointers to them in terms of overhead
one small improvement would be to store only approximate positions / dont
store the least significant bits

so summary: agree unless we find another solution

[...]
> 5. merging info header with main/stream header, adding info streams
>
> proposed by me
> i don't think michael or anyone else has commented on it yet
> i'm strongly in favor of doing this unless a good argument against it is
> made

generic data streams: ok
streams containing what info packets do contain: dunno, it increases
complexity i dont see much advantage in it
merging info packets with the other packets: iam against that

> 6. finalization packets
>
> proposed by me
> i'm in favor and someone else liked them too
> seems to be no objection

iam not against this but this would need to be optional, as in many cases the
duration is simply not known, its also a little confussing with b frames
allthough it should work

[...]

--
Michael

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it." -- Voltaire