[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer in a B&O product (License)

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Fri Oct 1 22:32:28 CEST 2004

On Friday 01 October 2004 09:10, Martin Jensen wrote:
> Hi Diego B.
>

> Many thanks for your fast reply!

Since this was posted to a semi-public mailing list and echoed as such, I'll just jump
in right now ;-) I am not a developer of MPlayer, although, I have more than one patch
accepted in MPlayer.

> GNU GPL should not be a problem for us. The reason for me asking is that I
> read some place that not all of MPlayer is GNU GPL and you confirmed that.
> Its just that I these days one have to be careful about licences.

I've noticed many evil rumours, regarding MPlayer, floating around on the internet.
If there is any particular rumour, or part of MPlayer that concerns you, please say
so, I'm sure there are developers here, who would be willing to clarify the origins
of these parts.

As MPlayer is an open source project, there are hundres of developers, each with
their own opinion, and as such, you should keep in mind, that no single person can
speak for MPlayer team as a whole. However, the fact that MPlayer is covered under
the GPL license, is undisputed, and in the spirit of it, you can either become one of the
hundreds, or fork off your own version of MPlayer, under the terms of the GPL, of
course :)

> If I have any more questions about MPlayer can I send them to you? That
> would be greatly appreciated!

Anything Diego can not answer, I am sure, he will forward to the mailing list, or
#mplayerdev on IRC, Diego enjoys the confidence of many, if I may be as bold
to say so.

Wishing you luck with your product,
random MPlayer contributor Jan Knutar