[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: new nut thread

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Sun Oct 10 17:44:07 CEST 2004

Hey,

> from what i've seen, all mkv files use the V_MS crap rather than using
> new standard codec ids. this is exactly what i want to avoid if
> possible...

For video yes (for MPEG4, not for RealVideo) because the bitstreams are
still packed (the whole B frame mess...). Once we implement (both in the
muxing apps and all the relevant demuxers) proper B frame handling and
proper MPEG4 storage (similar to MP4) V_MS/* won't be used for that
anymore.

Until then we'll stick to that compromise.

Mosu