[MPlayer-dev-eng] Subtitles

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Oct 15 22:17:09 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 12:35:31PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>>> Also I think that subtitle display is cool (alpha channel) and
>>> ugly (one font without position and addons like bold, italic,
>>> color, etc.)
>>
>> This is, as I understand it, because subtitles are displayed using
>> the same system as the OSD - and that is limited to one color and
>> knows no special styles. From my time lurking, I think it might
>> become possible to do this if the bmovl2 filter ever gets to the
>> point of being committed, but in the meantime I don't know how
>> practical wanting to improve font variability is.
>
> bmovl2 would be an extremely slow and bloated way to do subtitles..
> it also might be hard to get the timing right..

Perhaps so, but it's the only thing I remember seeing mentioned which
might be able to support the more complicated forms of subtitles -
multiple fonts, multiple colors, color changes (for things like keeping
time with the lyrics of a song), and so forth. I'll readily admit that
it might be an inefficient and highly suboptimal way of getting the job
done, but I don't recall any other proposals which might be able to
provide that sort of functionality.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.