[MPlayer-dev-eng] printf -> mp_msg conversion (etc.), first patches

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Sep 6 06:43:47 CEST 2004

Diego Biurrun wrote:

> The Wanderer writes:

>> Leaving aside a few pause-related nitpicks, this seems to me to say
>> that messages of MSGL_HINT should not be translated; is that true?
>> If not, I'd suggest something like "messages of MSGL_HINT and
>> below".
>
> Next try:
>
> 13. Do not use printf for console output, use our own mp_msg functions instead.
>     For the output to be translated (all messages of level MSGL_HINT and below
>     should be translated), put the strings in help/help_mp-en.h. If you change
>     strings, remove the occurrences of these strings from the translations,
>     there may be trouble if it remains in place and translators will pick
>     it up more easily this way.

Aside from the same nitpicks as before (which I see in damn near
everything, and usually find too tedious to try to point out much less
fix), this looks fine to me.

Hmm. Maybe not quite. As things stand, the last sentence could easily be
misinterpreted at first glance to mean "If you change strings, or if you
remove the occurrences...". The simplest fix is to change the final
comma to a semicolon.

Eh. I'm contradicting myself left and right here, both in this message
and my previous one. Try "For the output to be translated (which
includes all messages of level MSGL_HINT and below)", to avoid
repetition of "translated"; such repetition is perfectly good English,
but seems awkward at reading time. (This sort of thing is more of a
problem in fiction, where much of my experience in proofreading
criticism comes from, but can be worth not ignoring in other contexts as
well.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.