[MPlayer-dev-eng] configure --force-option (was --enable-gif)

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Sep 6 15:54:35 CEST 2004

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 07:39:17PM +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> The Wanderer said:
> > Torinthiel wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 03:29:09PM +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> >> If the test is not enabled by default it means that either:
> >> 1. There is no test
> >> 2. The test is somewhat broken
> >> 3. The test is ok, but somebody forgot to make it default - bug.

I really dont like this. as Trointhiel wrote, this will be a
dublication of a lot of options. Better would be something like
--try-option that makes some tests and enables it if possible for those
few options that actualy have different behaviours for try and force.
BTW: dont think that arpi and gabu were the only ones who opposed the
--enable policy change.

> Cool. I like constructive feed back. Actually there is simple solution.
>
>   --disable-all, enable-all, --enable-stable options.

and --try-all, --enable-means-force, --enable-means-try
then we could make --try-all --enable-means-try default and all users
would be happy. Developers and packager can still use --try-all
--enable-means-force resp --disable-all --enable-means-force.
A config file for ./configure would be also nice :)

> As options rightmost (later) options override the previous. So one
> could have "--disable-all --enable-whatIneed" .
> the whole default configure option may look this way:
>
>   vo_xv=$default_option
>   vo_xvmc=$experimental_options

sounds interesting. can you elaborate that a bit more ?

> The usual argument I use is "If configure test fails do you think that
> the real code will compile?".

Yes.  btdt.
Beside our configure script is far from being perfect and as long as it
is not perfect i want to have maximum control over it.

I especialy dont want to have more work while doing bug hunting. It
needs enough as it is.
BTW: you should use ccache, it speeds the compilation up by a factor of
5 on a normal day, or 20 if very little changed. (w/o ccache i would
have given up working on mplayer a long time ago)

			Attila Kinali