[MPlayer-dev-eng] PTS/DTS

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Wed Sep 8 15:48:07 CEST 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 12:59:10PM +0300, Kenny (Constantine Shulyupin) wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 September 2004 21:01, Karl Wood wrote:
> > Kenny
> >
> > I lurk here. I seldom post, but I have made a very slight difference
> > to MPlayer. I don't expect any of the developers to know who I am or
> > even care. I care about MPlayer and the GPL.
> >
> > You ask here because you say you work with mplayer. If you don't know
> > about timestamps or AV sync, and you don't address concerns about the
> > GPL when you are working with hardware that is proprietary, and given
> > that your posts are terse and therefore ambiguous ... I am suspicious.
> >
> > Please say, in a little more detail, what exactly are you developing
> > for mplayer, and will your contribution be available under the GPL?
> >
> > Karl
>
> Hi Karl.
>
> I develop vo, ao drivers to em8605 chip, and this drivers will be GPL.
> I have property driver for that chip, it'll be not GPL.
> Also I make a lot of changes to mplayer code to decoding, a,v, a-v timing and
> synchronization, because I see, mplayer not yet friendly for accelerated a-v
> chips. My current changes are not yet suitable for patching mplayer
> repository. If you or somebody else want to see what I had done, I can send
> you patches now.
>
> Thank you for GPL care.
> Kenny.

 Hi Kenny and Karl,
 I don't know what you are really talkin' about, though I find Kenny's posts
 also terse and not really belonging to this list, at least not if they
 don't become clearer and more complete.

 anyway:

 Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to the
 public?

    The GPL does not require you to release your modified version. You are
    free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing
    them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an
    organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever
    releasing it outside the organization.

    But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL
    requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's
    users, under the GPL.

    Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain
    ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is
    up to you.

Thanks to myself for caring about GPL...

  Alex (beastd)