[MPlayer-dev-eng] PTS/DTS

Karl Wood mplayer at shevek.f9.co.uk
Wed Sep 8 19:41:22 CEST 2004

D Richard Felker III writes:
> gpl never requires you to give source to anyone unless you also gave
> them another ("binary") form of the derived work. but, whenever you do
> distribute the source even to one person, it's licensed under the same
> terms to all third parties, i.e. anyone who gets their hands on a copy
> has full rights under the gpl. furthermore, the single person you gave
> the source to has full rights under the gpl to share the code with
> anyone they wish. (and afaik, full rights to keep it private too, as
> long as they don't distribute binaries.)

FWIW, my interpretation of the GPL is similar to Rich's words above.

Kenny has to be absolutely sure that he not only respects the
interests of the people who abide by the GPL, he also has to respect
the interests of the people who have licensed proprietary code to him
under NDA.

I don't think that's possible in this case as I understand it, and
whether or not that's right, or even fair, isn't the discussion I
intended to start here. I am worried that Kenny could, even with the
best of intentions, distribute code which he does not have the right
to distribute. The consequences could be unpleasant, and reducing the
risk of that happening was my only intent.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for tolerating this thread so far, I hope
it helps, but I won't keep it going past its natural life. The last
thing I need is to develop a reputation as a troll. I promise to lurk
again for a few more months.

Karl

PS No offence intended Kenny, but even though I asked you to supply
more details I'm obliged to say that I don't want to be sent any of
your code as you have offered to do. If you distribute any code, it
is not at my request, OK?