[MPlayer-dev-eng] Adding threaded functionality to mplayer

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Thu Sep 9 11:19:45 CEST 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 09:48:27PM +0900, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 04:24:53PM +0100, Ed Wildgoose wrote:
>
> > Most people have AGP, but someone told me that this is an asynchronous
> > interface...?  Faster to copy in than out...?  Anyway, PCI-X is on the
> > horizon, and this promises to let you do really silly things like use
> > your graphics card as a general purpose DSP processor!  This should be
> > really funky, and the bandwidth will be awesome.  Boards are already
> > available from Asus and others.
>
> lol, do you realy believe that PCI-Express will solve the I/O issue ?
> Todays normal PCI interface can handle about 135MByte/s (33.3MHz, 32bit)
> but in reality you can hardly go over 80MB/s with a single device. Using
> more than one decreases the overall bandwidth further. But even 80MB/s
> should be enough for most videos, but unfortunately, we have another
> bottleneck: RAM. Every I/O operation uses RAM and as long as this stupid
> PC design continues, this will be one of the major bottlenecks.
> If you are intersted on how our GHz CPU future looks like read [1].
>
> Also note, that PCI-X is not the same as PCI-Express. PCI-X denotes the
> extended PCI busses iirc introduced in PCI 2.3 which use 64bit and/or
> 66.6MHz.
>
> Also note that PCI-Express is not really needed for graphics cards,
> AGP is fast enough (iirc as fast as PCI-Express will be)

PCI-Express x16 is double the speed of AGP 8x.. and to both directions at
the same time. so it's something like 3-4 times faster than AGP 8x if you
count both directions.

(Usually the data transfers from agp-card to system ram are done
via pci bus..not agp).

AGP 8x is ~2 GB/sec (from system ram to card)
PCI-Express x16 is ~4 GB/sec fullduplex.

-- Pasi Kärkkäinen

                                   ^
                                .     .
                                 Linux