[MPlayer-dev-eng] Bugzilla: make it usable now!

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Wed Sep 15 16:40:03 CEST 2004

Hi,

> yeah, i'd like to try some of the others in hopes that they're not so
> web-centric.

Here are my first impressions of both. I'm not nearly finished with
setting up either properly, but so far I've got enough for this mail.

1. debbugs

debbugs is the exact opposite of 'web-centric'. It can ONLY be
controlled via email. This may be nice, and I personally love to use it
and have used it for Debian bug reports many times. However, this may be
too uncomfortable for 'normal users'. Remember, we want a BTS that can
be used by both users and developpers. Otherwise it won't be used and is
of no use to anyone.

Another disadvantage of debbugs is that it is tailored for use with
software packaging. It seems to contain a lot of assumptions like
"there's package X and it has a source package Y" (read
http://debbugs.bunkus.org/Reporting.html - no, the rest of the
installation is not yet working. No use in trying anything! ). We can
surely map mplayer's components like 'vo', 'ao', 'docs' etc onto
packages, but I'm not sure how much we can hide debbugs' origins.

2. gnats

gnats totally overwhelms me. It seems to be a solution for high traffic
help desks / system administration setups. What I dislike is that I have
to create each user by editing a couple of files. I think you have to
login first before you can submit a bug report which would require each
and every user to have an account... I may be wrong about this, but I
haven't spent that much time with it yet.

Stay tuned for more information about both.

> normally i'd be really skeptical of any software with
> "zilla" in its name...but then again, the mozilla team should be the
> authority on how to manage bugs since they have so many of them... :))

*eg*

Mosu