[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Bugzilla: make it usable now!

Moritz Bunkus moritz at bunkus.org
Fri Sep 17 08:27:28 CEST 2004

Hey,

[using a "reportbug" like tool for creating bug reports]

> There wouldn't need to be that much to be changed, if you stick to the
> standard Debian resolutions and bug severities. One problem of debbugs
> is that doesn't handle the stages of a bug fix very well, the general
> resolutions and just open, resolved, closed and forward-to-upstream.

Be that as it may, I won't do it. I can work on the server side of it
(meaning the tool parsing the additional mails, getting the control data
from it and updating the Bugzilla database etc) but I certainly don't
have the time to do this, too.

If anyone would like to do that I'd be MORE than happy! Because then we
could point the user to this nice tool and we'd get way more useful bug
reports.

Some other things this tool would have to do at least semi-automatically
are detecting the user's OS and distro, the architecture (CPU etc)...

The next problem is that if we want this tool to be used by everyone we
cannot write it in Python, not even in Perl. Think about all the OS we
support, especially about Windows... No one will install Python or Perl
just for a bug report.

> > Anyway, I still think that the complete lack of a web based input tool
> > is a serious drawback.
>
> I guess it's not a drawback, but instead a good thing.

Maybe, but see my point above about Perl/Python not being available
globally.

> The quality of Debian bug reports is significantly better than average
> bugreports found on mailing lists or atrocities like web forums.

Totally depends on the audience you're dealing with. But this is besides
the point of this thread :)

> I can't copy the URL right now: Search groups.google.com for
> "bugzilla mail interface", it's the sixth search result with the
> subject "MandrakeSoft bugzilla version details".

Thanks, will do.

Mosu