[MPlayer-dev-eng] Wrong times in slave mode?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Aug 4 12:04:47 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 08:35:28PM +0200, Sebastian Sch?fer wrote:
> But unfortunately it seems that at least one of these times is wrong.

Quite often (esp. with badly mastered DVDs) they will both be wrong,
since they rely on the MPEG2 timestamps, which aren't always continuous.
(hmm... when thinking about it again, the get_time_pos values might even
be correct, but the total and percent values can be wrong).
What would be needed to fix that would be an index generation algorithm,
like we have for avi etc. when using -forceidx.

> Has anybody else experienced this?

Yes, the worst example I know of is the Matrix DVD, the timestamps are
reset every 2 to 20 minutes, making the OSD time display completely
useless.

> I am not sure whether this is an error in my code or in mplayer's, because I couldn't find any overflows or something like that in mine. Also, when watching shorter movies (mostly xvids) it works perfectly well.

Shorter movies are simply less likely to have timestamp reset.

You might try to set has_valid_timestamps in demux_mpg always to zero,
like that you will only get estimates, but they might still work
better...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger