[MPlayer-dev-eng] surround sound documentation

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sun Aug 21 00:54:44 CEST 2005

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Now seriously, who has surround hardware?

I have the hardware but not the audio equipment. I just spent a few
minutes plugging a pair of headphones into various audio jacks and
mplayer's surround support seems to work ok. With alsa I can just:

1. mplayer -channels 6 -ao alsa
2. run alsamixer and play around with the various controls.

-or-

1. mplayer -ac hwac3

I don't have a stereo capable of decoding ac3; when I plug my headphones
into the S/PDIF jack I hear what is definitely a digital signal; I can't
say if it's correct though.

If nobody with surround equipment steps forward and writes something for
the docs I'll give it shot.

-Corey