[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer OS X

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Thu Aug 25 04:01:52 CEST 2005

On Thursday 25 August 2005 03:46, Nicolas Plourde wrote:
> I was not thinking of using a specific UI kit. Maybe more like a
> layer to plug the gui to mplayer.
> Think of integrated slave mode. Also Creating a GUI guideline doc to
> make sure all gui provide the same
> user experience.

Yes. In principle, a GUI API layer in MPlayer would be very good and have
all platform/toolkit-specific gui's use that API to communicate to MPlayer.
But in reality, I fear people won't extend that api-layer if something
can't be done (yet), but read/write global variables or do other hacks to
get it done easily/fast (but ugly). Not in the beginning, but after a while
I think it will start to happen. We could offcourse just don't accept such
code, but I think plain slave-mode is easier, because it enforces the gui
programmer to use a certain 'api' and extend that api if it does not
suffice. If slave mode is properly handled in MPlayer, I don't think it
will be much slower, if at all.

--Ivo