[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [MPlayerOSX-devel] MPlayerOSX and the sources

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Jan 4 20:59:03 CET 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 20:48:11 +0100
Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

> I know slave mode is not nice. But instead of creating yet another
> interface with yet more problems I'd prefer to modify it to be really
> useable with Guis.
> This should be done anyway as it seems quite a lot of people use the slave mode
> for their own, simple user interface e.g. to use some kind of remote
> control that licq doesn't support...
> Well, using linked functions for some kind of feedback might be okay,
> but at least controlling MPlayer should be done via commands, even if
> not via a fifo/pipe...

Well, i somewhat disagree with this. UI code should be made completely
independant of the rest of MPlayer. There should be an uniform way
of accessing the core functionality so any kind of UI could use it.
We could then of course also provide a command based UI like todays
slave interface. But i don't think it is cleanly possible to do
fancy GUI stuff over a simple command based system.
You may of course prove me wrong.

				Attila Kinali