[MPlayer-dev-eng] Disable encoders

Aurelien Jacobs aurel at gnuage.org
Wed Jan 5 11:58:46 CET 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 10:43:06 +0100
Gianluigi Tiesi <mplayer at netfarm.it> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 05:19:36PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Monday 03 January 2005 11:16, Gianluigi Tiesi wrote:
> > > I've splitted my old patch in two part, a small patch to mplayer's
> > > configure and a two file patch to ffmpeg tree,
> > > this disables encoders when using --disable-mencoder,
> > > and fixes compilation of snow.c and h261.c in ffmpeg if ENCODERS
> > > is not defined.
> > > If the patch seams ok please forward the ffmpeg one to ffmpeg ml
> > > if it's needed.
> >
> > ffmpeg part mostly applied
> Mods are enough, ffmpeg compiles fine without CONFIG_ENCODERS
> >
> > mplayer part rejected (due to mpeg1 encoding though vf_lavc.c ...)
> I'm confused, why mpeg1 encoding is needed if mencoder is disabled?

mpeg1 encoding is used in mplayer when you use -vo dxr3. The dxr3
cards only accept mpeg1 as it's input stream, so MPlayer need to
convert all non-mpeg1 stream to mpeg1 before sending it to a dxr3.

If you really want to totally disable encoders in mplayer, you should
also check that the dxr3 vo is not compiled in. (aren't they also
other vo which need mpeg1 encoding ?)
Another solution is to add a CONFIG_MPEG1_ENCODER that would be used
in libavcodec. All mpeg1 code would be surrounded by
#if defined(CONFIG_ENCODERS) || defined(CONFIG_MPEG1_ENCODER)
Then you could easily disable all encoders but mpeg1.

Aurel