[MPlayer-dev-eng] cdparanoia and slow CD drives

R. Bernstein rocky at panix.com
Fri Jan 7 14:20:58 CET 2005

I recently got cdparanoia working (at least for me) in libcdio and was
scanning old cdparanoia mailing lists.

I came across a patch to cdparnoia that was submitted a while back to
disable it because the person had a slow Plextor drive didn't work
well in the player he was using. This jogged my memory of Diego
Biurrun's remark I think about similar circumstances.

As I now better understand, even though one can turn off cdparanoia, I
guess there is still a little bit of overhead somewhere. (Callback,
mechanism? in the way it buffers? If it's being called via a pipe? I
don't know.)

I don't now have nor can find the URL where I read this (and my googling
didn't help) or else I'd copy it here.