[MPlayer-dev-eng] NOVIRUS Bug 188 - [Patch] add vob subtitle to mencoder.

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Tue Jan 11 20:32:02 CET 2005

On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 03:11:37AM -0800, ha shao wrote:
> Vobsub is quite popular but mencoder don't support it.
> This patch add the -vobsub -vobsubid to mencode.
>
> The codes were mostly copy & paste from mplayer's
> vobsub sessions (FIXME: tags included). I don't really
> know what I was doing but it simply works for me.

Has anybody checked this patch?
I think his functionality should be added to mencoder.
I have a user of encode2mpeg that was wondering why subtitles
were not rendered in his SVCD some time.

The answer is that when encode2mpeg uses MPlayer to create the yuv4mpeg stream
to be processed by mpeg2enc, MPlayer open and render the subtitles
automatically (except if you give -noautosub).
When encode2mpeg uses MEncoder to create the output stream, the subtitles are not
loaded.
I would like that MEncoder does one of the following:

1) as MPlayer, load and render the subtitles automatically except if
you give -noautosub

or

2) if you give the option -autosub, load and render the subtitles automatically;
otherwise keep the current beaviour (no subtitles loading).

What do you think?

Giacomo