[MPlayer-dev-eng] gcc 2.95 bug/oddity?

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Jan 17 04:36:34 CET 2005

Hi!

I'm experiencing a peculiar bug that nobody can reproduce, when
playing

http://mplayerhq.hu/~diego/cathedral-beta2-400extra-crop-avc.mp4
http://mplayerhq.hu/~diego/nature_704x576_25Hz_1500kbits.h264

playback fails with the following errors:

Movie-Aspect is nan:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO Config (704x576->704x-2147483648,flags=0,'MPlayer',0x32315659)
VO: invalid dimensions!
FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.

I usually use gcc 2.95.4, if I recompile libmpcodecs/vd.c with gcc 3.3
the error goes away, changing -O4 to -O0 and/or -march=pentium,
-mcpu=pentium does not help.

In libmpcodecs/vd.c line 125 the following variable is declared:

float movie_aspect=-1.0;

and tested in line 262:

  if(movie_aspect>-1.0) sh->aspect = movie_aspect; // cmdline overrides autodetect

If I change the initialization of movie_aspect to 0, the problem goes
away, but I haven't read the code in depth to understand what it is
supposed to be doing.

Can anybody give me some further clues about this?  Is this a compiler
bug and/or what should I investigate to verify this?

Diego