[MPlayer-dev-eng] Documentation lists option with one - (dash) only, two required

Torinthiel torinthiel at megapolis.pl
Tue Jan 18 22:19:20 CET 2005

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 07:57:50PM +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> >> As you can see, I first entered "-dvd-device", because that's the way it is
> >> listed in the man page and all the other documentation (like the web page and
> >> such). mplayer, however, requires that the option be specified with two dashs;
> >> ie. --dvd-device. That's true not only for "dvd-device" but for a number of
> >> other options as well.
> >
> > Nonsense, just compare with this line from cfg-common.h:
>
> "Nonsense"? Call mplayer --dvd-device and call mplayer -dvd-device
> to see it for yourself.

-dvd-device works. --dvd-device does not.

> > #ifdef USE_DVDREAD
> >         {"dvd-device", &dvd_device,  CONF_TYPE_STRING, 0, 0, 0, NULL},
>
> Interesting. How do you explain the output I posted?

grep DVDREAD config.h
should be
#define USE_DVDREAD 1
in your case will probably be:
#undef USE_DVDREAD
Go and check configure.log why it is so.

> "Unknown option on the command line: dvd-device".
>
> How do you explain, that --dvd-device works and -dvd-device does
> not work?

--dvd-device does not work. -- simply tells MPlayer that it shouldn't
interpret next '-' as option name. And dvd-device after -- gets ignored.

> > There is obviously no need for double dashes.
>
> Nice. What's actually obvious is, that only the double dash version
> works.

Well, and --dvd-device /path/to/dvd works?
because -dvd-device /path/to/device does.

Oh, and MPlayer NEVER requires option with '--'. It accepts some (--help
and --version IARC) but normally uses one '-'.
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)megapolis(dot)pl