[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [SURVEY] change default CPU target when compiled with runtime CPU detection

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Mon Nov 14 17:21:04 CET 2005

Hi,

Am Sonntag, 13. November 2005 08:40 schrieb Zuxy:

> Also, I suggest the -mtune=pentium4 instead of 686 when runtime cpu
> detection is required, because IMHO the most common cpu now is a 786
> (pentium4 or athlon64) instead of a 686.

I would not use mtune=pentium4 because
* most people use mplayer on linux and I have read (do not know the URL
  anymore) that Athlons are much more common among Linux users than
  Pentium-4s
* Pentium4 needs very special sheduling which has not much in common with
  optimal sheduling for Athlon, Pentium3, Pentium-M,...
* Future Intel based CPUs are based on the Pentium-3/Pentium-M
  marchitecture, Pentium-4's Netburst architecture is dead.

So I ask if it wouldn't make sense to use -mtune=pentium3 or
-mtune=athlon.
Using one of those tunings would make all the Pentium2-, Pentium3-,
Pentium-M-, Athlon-, Athlon-XP- and Athlon-64-people happy,
mtune=pentium4 would only make the Pentium4-people happy and would slow
down mplayer for all other people.

Regards,
  Matthias