[MPlayer-dev-eng] Small changes to subreader.c file

Adam Tlałka atlka at pg.gda.pl
Mon Oct 10 11:18:24 CEST 2005

Dnia Sun, 09 Oct 2005 11:32:06 +0200, Reimar Döffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> napisał:
> How do you know it was supposed to be a Windows text file, and not a
> "normal" text file and they just happened to develop under windows?
> Unless there is an official spec, IMHO there is no point in
> discussing this any further.
What do you name a "text" file?

Look for example in a old good Vim editor and do ":set textmode" command
and then add some lines of text and save all to a file.
What format will it be saved in? The answer is cr/lf!!

Your definition of text file format is broken - historically text files
are files with alphanumerics,spaces and cr/lf line endings.
What you use is a Unix binary format containing only text data
and of course only Unix specific which means not compatible with others.
Doing incompatible software is a MS people domain.
Are you one of them?!

I looked at a few subtitle processing applications - Windows based and
Unix based
too. SubRip exports all of subtitle formats in cr/lf mode not only SRT to
tell
you the truth. All those formats are developed as a text files so this
is the proper way.

The Unix software Jubler is a Java subtitles editor which is doing this
way too:
// in AbstractSubFormat.java
public String produce(Subtitle, )
	return res.toString().replace("\n","\r\n");
it uses "\n" line endings internally, reads them properly but exports
always
in cr/lf form.

The same with old xste X11 Unix subtitle editor and SRT and SSA format.
Also ksubtitler - KDE subtitle editor saves microDVD, SSA, SRT and Vplayer
formats as a cr/lf files.

There are some programs based on current MPlayer approach which is even
stated
in sources. People are just copying the subreader.c code without knowledge
about
how it works. This makes incompatible and platform specific code which is
not
good. I think that making a good program is a making a usable program not
one which produces additional problems for its users.
MPlayer is good enough in players domain but if we talking about subtitle
format export it has to be fixed. That's all.

Nameing other people "idiots" or writting just "wrong" without arguing
doesn't mean you are right. It only shows your state of mind and your
nonprofesional approach to the subject.

Regards
--
Adam Tlałka      mailto:atlka at pg.gda.pl    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
System  & Network Administration Group           ~~~~~~
PGP public key:   finger atlka at sunrise.pg.gda.pl