[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Small changes to subreader.c file

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Mon Oct 10 14:00:31 CEST 2005

Am Sonntag, 9. Oktober 2005 16:11 schrieb Rich Felker:
> On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 11:59:28AM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > AFAIK windows players have no problem reading our files. It's only
> > > broken hardware player (which are already broken in countless other
> > > ways and not worth supporting) that choke.
> >
> > Why do you think hardware players are not worth supporting?
>
> Because they only support very limited, crappy codecs

Mpeg4?

> and container formats

Avi?

> and encourage idiots to reencode all their files to match
> these limitations.

Call me an idiot but what's wrong with reencoding a movie before burning
on DVD? Reencoding does not mean overwriting. And most mpeg4 movies do
not need to be reencoded anyway.

Please accept that different people have different points of view. Some
people want to watch movies on their desktop computers, some want to
watch them on their TV.

> > Many people
> > have one of those hardware players.
>
> Many people do lots of stupid things...

like booting a PC if they want to watch a movie?

Matthias