[MPlayer-dev-eng] Small changes to subreader.c file

Adam Tlałka atlka at pg.gda.pl
Mon Oct 10 14:18:21 CEST 2005

Dnia Mon, 10 Oct 2005 12:47:46 +0200, Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org>
napisał:
>> You are just not understanding the case. These file formats were in
>> cr/lf
>> format from their start time. It is non an optional way. Current MPlayer
>> way of generating of this kind of files is inproper and Unix
>> proprietary.
>> So you are like a MS gay thinking that standards and compatibility are
>> not
>> worth to stick to.
>
> Is there a spec around? No? ok, then using anything that resembles text
> is fine. Specifications are useful mostly to agree to a standard.
There are written and not written standards. These file formats appeared
on MS Windows platforms at first. There was no Unix software for them.
So nobody thought about writting spec saying that cr/lf must be used
because
it was normally self producing. So it is a standard. Now you can imagine
a system which have other line separators then now known. Doing subtitle
files in this system native standard is simply breaking compatibility
and creating next variant which must be clearly stated.
It must be specially processed and is not compatible with produced on
other systems.
 From user point of view it is not a good software in world of Internet
and multi-systems file interchange environment.

>  From what I heard there isn't a standard...
But it is written in the code of many programs. If there is no written one
there is used one. Next in some hardware players specyfication subtitle
files
are clearly defined as containing cr/lf line endings. It is written in the
docs.
So I am against proprietary formats which differs from system to system.

Regards
--
Adam Tlałka      mailto:atlka at pg.gda.pl    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
System  & Network Administration Group           ~~~~~~
PGP public key:   finger atlka at sunrise.pg.gda.pl