[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Small changes to subreader.c file

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 22:23:05 CEST 2005

Hi Adam,

On 10/10/05, Adam Tlałka <atlka at pg.gda.pl> wrote:
> Dnia Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:27:33 +0200, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx>
> napisał:
> > This is a bug in your dvdrom drive.
> As I said it works properly in Windows - with the same hardware.
>
> > If the vendor releases a new version... Have you seen any vendors
> > release ogm, mkv, vorbis, aac, h264, etc. support? How about nut once
> > it's done??
> OK but we have what we have. I don't want to buy xbox.
> I have no time for playing games anyway too.
> So I just want use hardware player too. Many people want that
> without additional complications.

> >> Because some gays produce output in noncompatible formats.
> >
> > OK you lost absolutely all credibility with that statement.
> Your previous statement means all about your credibility
> and attitude to this case. I've tried to explain various reasons why
> this should be done as cr/lf mode. Calling me an idiot proves
> nothing about the case. Look in the mirror and think about what this
> kind of arumentation shows about you.
>
> > Please leave this discussion immediately.
> If it is a discussion. I am arguing and showing examples of code
> and you just flameing me. Really nice discussion ;-).
>
> Have a good sleep

My opinion about all this discussion is that ppl lost a great deal of
time arguing over a very small, yet not so trivial issue.

we all agree that :
  - hardware players are broken (which is probably why I've never been
able to watch SRT subs on my crappy hw player)
 - some software players are broken
  - the original "format" of SRT used CR/LF mostly because it was
developed on windows platform
  - MPlayer is feature rich and could afford yet another option to
generate CR/LF formatted SRT files.

Adam, as Richard said earlier, if you could make a _good_ patch that
allow to _optionnaly_ generate CR/LF SRT files, it has a great chance
to get merged.

As you saw, that issue is controversial, so my feeling is that it does
legitimate to give ppl a choice to generate CR/LF SRT files.

Guillaume
--
Reading doesn't hurt, really!
  -- Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski