[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Small changes to subreader.c file

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Tue Oct 11 11:23:03 CEST 2005

Am Montag, 10. Oktober 2005 21:27 schrieb Rich Felker:

> > Sorry to say that but I have some DVD videos which play smoothly on
> > the hardware player
> > and terribly choke under Linux. Neither MPlayer nor Xine can play
> > them correctly.
> > What is interesting they play nicely under Windows.
> > I think that we have some problems with continous transfer from DVD
> > device in Linux so it have choppy playback on 1x or 2x playing speed.
> > -cache option doesn't help and even makes it worse because drive
> > stops and starts again which has terrible effect on playback.
> > No problem with hardware player here.;-)
>
> This is a bug in your dvdrom drive.
>
> > >Because they only support very limited, crappy codecs
> >
> > You can flash them to a new versions.
>
> If the vendor releases a new version... Have you seen any vendors
> release ogm, mkv, vorbis, aac, h264, etc. support? How about nut once
> it's done??

Ridiculous. Does a hardware dvd player have to support all available video
codecs? - No.

Only because You don't like hardware players and You are happy to boot a
PC to watch some movie makes you think everybody else has to hate
hardwareplayers, too?

* It does not harm the video files on your hdd if you reencode them before
  burning on DVD. (mencoder does not overwrite the original file)
* If a DVD player supports divx and most parts of xvid that's more than
  enough for real world usage. Most videos work out of the box, only a few
  need to be reencoded.
* Nobody forces YOU to use a hardware dvd player but please accept that
  there are people who have good reasons to use a hardware dvd player. Not
  everybody wants to watch movies in his workroom or wants to place a PC
  or some geeky modification of a Xbox next to his TV.

Regards,
  Matthias