[MPlayer-dev-eng] Small changes to subreader.c file

Ergzay ergzay at everyoneproductions.com
Wed Oct 12 07:24:03 CEST 2005

On 2005/10/11, at 19:00, Rich Felker wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 11:42:57PM +0200, Adam Tla??ka wrote:
>> OK.
>> If we talking about standards - cr/lf text files are widely used in
>> text
>> data
>> exchange between different systems and this is stated in many docs,
>> for
>> example:

I've been a lurker for this entire thread and I wanted to add a few
things.
First of all, I am just a lowly user who only very vaguely understands
what CR/LF line endings are from the discussions here.
 From my point of view I see some developers agreeing with Adam (who btw
is making very good argumentative points) and many others heavily
disagreeing with him. Rich I think you were totally out of line
shouting "STFU!" at him. It just makes you look immature and works to
reinforce his position and lower yours.
> More quotations and argument will not do you any good. You have been
> told to either submit a patch which is acceptable, or cease emailing
> the list about this. If you do not stop posting new arguments I will
> ask that you be removed from this list.
In fact quotations and argument are just fine, they work to sway more
objective and responsive and less dictator like devs, as well as the
users (users correct me if I'm wrong but I think the majority of you
agree with me, speak up to change this guy's mind as well as others.)
If you look at the end of his post Adam says "Patch in progress." I
suggest you read better.
I do not think that having CR/LF as an option is correct. From what
I've seen Linux users have no problem reading CR/LF text files unless
you use some obscure reader (which you shouldn't be using in the first
place, just use vim or emacs). If 50% of all hardware players support
CR/LF endings and only 30% of those players support files with only LF
endings then of course CR/LF should be used as it is more compatible
(made up facts to illustrate a point).
I agree that mplayer should use whatever format is most used. I run on
Mac OS X and no matter where they came from text formats read just fine
(with the exception of mplayer).

Mplayer is for users, not developers, stop thinking that it's here for
you (to all developers).

Ergzay