[MPlayer-dev-eng] Small changes to subreader.c file

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Oct 12 09:57:31 CEST 2005

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 01:24:03AM -0400, Ergzay wrote:

> On 2005/10/11, at 19:00, Rich Felker wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 11:42:57PM +0200, Adam Tla??ka wrote:
> >>OK.
> >>If we talking about standards - cr/lf text files are widely used in
> >>text data exchange between different systems and this is stated in
> >>many docs, for example:
>
> I've been a lurker for this entire thread and I wanted to add a few
> things.
> First of all, I am just a lowly user who only very vaguely understands
> what CR/LF line endings are from the discussions here.
> From my point of view I see some developers agreeing with Adam (who btw
> is making very good argumentative points) and many others heavily
> disagreeing with him. Rich I think you were totally out of line
> shouting "STFU!" at him. It just makes you look immature and works to
> reinforce his position and lower yours.

And how would you tell if he is making very good argumentative points if
you do not have a thorough understanding of the issues involved?  Right,
you can't...

Ergzay, you have no business entering into a flamewar.  You have just
provoked more messages to be posted into this thread and made everybody
lose even more time.  I might have committed this morning instead of
answering this email.

> >More quotations and argument will not do you any good. You have been
> >told to either submit a patch which is acceptable, or cease emailing
> >the list about this. If you do not stop posting new arguments I will
> >ask that you be removed from this list.
> In fact quotations and argument are just fine, they work to sway more
> objective and responsive and less dictator like devs, as well as the
> users (users correct me if I'm wrong but I think the majority of you
> agree with me, speak up to change this guy's mind as well as others.)

In case you haven't been able to tell for yourself: Everybody is LONG
past the point of accepting the other side's arguments.

Your words will not make any difference, on the contrary.  You have no
authority here.  Stop fueling the flames.

> Mplayer is for users, not developers, stop thinking that it's here for
> you (to all developers).

So I (and many others) work for years on this and other projects,
investing more of my free time than I am willing to readily admit,
to be told by someone like you that it's his RIGHT and not just his
PRIVILEGE to use it?  I find this quite insulting.

Developers have different motives for working on free software, most
developers around here, including the project founder, work on MPlayer
to use it themselves.

What have you contributed to free software so far?  What makes you think
you can judge the developers' motivations?

Diego

P.S.: It would greatly help the readability of your emails if you could
insert a blank line between what you quote and what you write.