[MPlayer-dev-eng] Small changes to subreader.c file

Ergzay ergzay at everyoneproductions.com
Thu Oct 13 00:18:24 CEST 2005

On 2005/10/12, at 3:57, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 01:24:03AM -0400, Ergzay wrote:

>> I've been a lurker for this entire thread and I wanted to add a few
>> things.
>> First of all, I am just a lowly user who only very vaguely understands
>> what CR/LF line endings are from the discussions here.
>> From my point of view I see some developers agreeing with Adam (who
>> btw
>> is making very good argumentative points) and many others heavily
>> disagreeing with him. Rich I think you were totally out of line
>> shouting "STFU!" at him. It just makes you look immature and works to
>> reinforce his position and lower yours.
>
> And how would you tell if he is making very good argumentative points
> if
> you do not have a thorough understanding of the issues involved?
> Right,
> you can't...
>
> Ergzay, you have no business entering into a flamewar.  You have just
> provoked more messages to be posted into this thread and made everybody
> lose even more time.  I might have committed this morning instead of
> answering this email.

I never intended to enter in to the flame war, just add my opinion to
the many others. I am sorry to have caused trouble for people, its just
that when I sent this mail I was backlogged on many of the messages and
had been reading for an hour+ to catch up and I had been getting
progressively more pissed at some people trying to shut others up. I
was not trying to add fuel but was trying to put it out, in my own way.

>>> More quotations and argument will not do you any good. You have been
>>> told to either submit a patch which is acceptable, or cease emailing
>>> the list about this. If you do not stop posting new arguments I will
>>> ask that you be removed from this list.
>> In fact quotations and argument are just fine, they work to sway more
>> objective and responsive and less dictator like devs, as well as the
>> users (users correct me if I'm wrong but I think the majority of you
>> agree with me, speak up to change this guy's mind as well as others.)
>
> In case you haven't been able to tell for yourself: Everybody is LONG
> past the point of accepting the other side's arguments.
>
> Your words will not make any difference, on the contrary.  You have no
> authority here.  Stop fueling the flames.
>
>> Mplayer is for users, not developers, stop thinking that it's here for
>> you (to all developers).
>
> So I (and many others) work for years on this and other projects,
> investing more of my free time than I am willing to readily admit,
> to be told by someone like you that it's his RIGHT and not just his
> PRIVILEGE to use it?  I find this quite insulting.
>
> Developers have different motives for working on free software, most
> developers around here, including the project founder, work on MPlayer
> to use it themselves.
>
> What have you contributed to free software so far?  What makes you
> think
> you can judge the developers' motivations?

I did not mean to insult any developers. That comment should have been
worded this way as many people took a different meaning from it:
Mplayer is made by developers as a hobby for the developers and users
use, it does not exist solely for the developers.

Sorry for any trouble I've caused anyone,
Ergzay