[MPlayer-dev-eng] Do not display CPU codenames?

Zuxy zuxy.meng at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 08:21:14 CEST 2005

2005/10/14, Jan Knutar <jknutar at nic.fi>:
> On Thursday 13 October 2005 18:56, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>
> dunno, it's cool extra bonus to display codename where it is known

It's actually a bit difficult to know exactly, especially when only
families and models are available. For example:

1. A Family F Model 2 Intel CPU can be either a Pentium 4 Northwood, a
Celeron Northwood, an Xeon Prestonia, an Xeon Gallatin, or a Pentium 4
Extreme Edition Gallatin. To distinguish them we have to know the
stepping, which add another dimension to the cputable.

2. If the Intel case sounds no serious. the AMD case might be more
misleading. A Family F Model F AMD CPU can be either an Athlon 64
Newcastle,  Winchester, or Venice, or a Sempron 64 with another set of
3 codenames, or an Opteron with yet another set, or maybe an Athlon
FX. This time we have to know both the extended model and the
stepping, or we simply put 10 codenames in a single line - we hardly
give any useful information.

--
Zuxy
Beauty is truth,