[MPlayer-dev-eng] Utilize libunrar.so/unrar.dll?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Oct 21 21:23:24 CEST 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 10:01:58PM +0300, ?smail Dönmez wrote:
> On Friday 21 October 2005 22:04, Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 10:18:26PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > I do not know if that one supports rar.

> > > Yes, for rar support there is no point in looking in 7zip I found, it
> > > uses the unrar sources, and I'm quite certain the license isn't
> > > GPL-compatible.
> >
> > I'm against including unrar support at all unless it can be done with
> > free code. Keeping your subtitles rar'd is stupid anyway. Just store
> > them in a proper format and the problem goes away.

> any different then supporting win32 dlls.

I'm against supporting win32 dlls too, but especially against this
'feature' which (unlike win32 codec support) is totally useless. If
people want to play these subs they can just use the external unrar
binary first.

unrar3 has source anyway, so if you insist on having rar3 support in
MPlayer, read the source and then write an independent implementation
of the decompresser under some free license..

Rich

'