[MPlayer-dev-eng] Utilize libunrar.so/unrar.dll?

Zuxy zuxy.meng at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 09:53:30 CEST 2005

2005/10/22, Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>:
> Hi,
>
> True (the patch part, not sure about the dlopen part). But that code there is
> so broken I doubt someone can make a clean patch. And I'd also like to say
> that I find gzip/bzip2 support more important...

Gzip/bzip2/7-zip is irrelevant here.There's a reason why initially the
mplayer developer brought in rar instead of other, much
easier-to-implement open source formats. I don't think he (is he still
active on the list?) made the decision arbitrarily. DVDRippers release
their subs in either rar, or uncompressed format. IMHO rar is a de
facto standard here. And I've never seen a sub compressed into other
formats on ftp sites, bittorrent, emule, etc. RAR IMHO is a "should"
thing, while gzip/bzip2/7-zip are "may" thing.

--
Zuxy
Beauty is truth,