[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Prefetching/buffering files

Anil Nambiar nambiara at sharpsec.com
Fri Sep 2 22:01:37 CEST 2005

Jan Knutar <jknutar <at> nic.fi> writes:

> On Friday 02 September 2005 21:37, Anil Nambiar wrote:
>
> > Going through the cache2.c file I found it is not really buffering the file.
>
> What do you mean? Maybe we understand buffering as something different
> here, but cache2 will fork() to independently fill a buffer, from which the
> demuxers will then be provided with data.

What I understood from the code is that when -cache is enabled, it forks
another process x, which does the read of the media playing. But that data is
not used directly by demux. But since the process x has read the data which
demux needed, it might be in the cache of the network or file system layer and
is read from the cache instead of the media. Correct me if my understanding or -
cache is wrong.
So for reading from nfs, it does a good job, while reading from hdd, it doesn't
work so well. In fact it slows down due to the extra process x, that is running.