[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT cleanup

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Mon Sep 5 18:11:19 CEST 2005

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 05:59:59PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 05:03:31PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >
> > the bigest reason against the change is that it breaks compatibility ...
>
> May I suggest something?  IMO keeping backwards compatibility is not
> necessary nor even a good thing at this stage.  As long as there has been no
> formal release of the NUT spec even a 1% simplification is worth breaking
> all existent NUT file IMHO.

Umm, I dunno if you noticed, but compatiblity has already been broken!...

lavf can NOT play the nut files my muxer created. I RTFS'ed, lavf is
looking for this value in the main header:

nut->short_startcode= get_v(bc);

The spec has absoloutely no mention of this.
BTW, I'm now making a BIG patch for mpcf.txt to fix everything mentioned in
this thread. I don't expect it to be all committed at once, but it'll give
a nice summary of all withstanding issues.

- ods15