[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT cleanup

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Sep 5 20:59:46 CEST 2005

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 09:43:47PM +0300, Oded Shimon wrote:
> 2. adding other_stream_header, for subtitles and metadata

IMO these probably need to be separate and thought out better..

> 3. adding last_pts to index

Is this the starting pts of the last frame? IMO it makes more sense to
know the _ending_ pts of the last frame, i.e.
last_frame_pts+last_frame_duration, tho this is not always known to
the program generating the file I suppose.. :(

I also wanted to store a zero-byte pseudo-frame at the end of each
stream to store the final pts so that a duration for the last frame
would be known, but the idea was (at least partly) shot down because
it might not be known.

> 7. change forward_ptr behavior, starts right after forward_ptr, ends before
>    checksum

Why ending before checksum?? IMO forward_ptr should point to the next
startcode after the current packet. This is so the demuxer can demux
new headers added in the future which it does not understand.

> 9. time_base_nom must also be non zero if i'm not mistaken?

You forgot to switch the names of time_base_nom and denom, I think.

> 13. specify that stream classes which have multiple streams must have an
>     info packet..

Like I said on IRC, if we have a requirement like this IMO it belongs
in a separate "semantic requirements" section.

> Things mentioned in this thread that are left:
> 1. remove stream_id ?

>From headers? Rejected.

> 2. change num/denom - i'll do this in a seperate patch - actually, it's
>    more than just a rename - it means time_base changes meaning - currently
>    it's the number of ticks in a second (which is bad definition imo),
>    changing it will make it into "length of a tick in seconds".

Yes. But please include it.

> 3. remove channel_count ?

Not sure still..

> 4. rename fourcc ?

Yes, but to what? My vote would be "encoding" or something similar.

> 5. remove mncf.txt

Agree.

> 6. rename ALL 'timestamp' in the file to 'pts' - Should I make a patch for
>    this?

Agree.

Rich