[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [Ffmpeg-devel] mphq2 - admins wanted

Richard Harman mplayer-dev-eng at richardharman.com
Wed Sep 7 06:38:49 CEST 2005

(an avid MPlayer fan steps out of the woodwork)

While I consider myself a skilled *NIX admin, I'm not even going to try
asking for root on mphq2. :)

What I'd like to offer is my skills as an intrusion detection analyst.
I'd like to maintain, and monitor a Snort instance for mphq2 (preferably
not *on* mphq2, but on a separate system on a span port, or via a hub).

I have homebrew scripts that download (but don't apply until I say _go_)
 updated snort.org VRT rules from snort.org, the community rules, and
bleeding snort rules.  All I'd need is a mysql database, and a PHP
enabled webserver for an analysis console.

Just something to think about... I don't have to be your IDS analyst,
but I think it's a good idea.

Re: general system security, if you're going with Linux as your OS, I
highly recommend the GRSecurity kernel patch available at
http://www.grsecurity.net/.  It's a little difficult to configure, but
on a headless colocated server, it's a lifesaver of a patch because it
stops lots of exploits from script kiddies dead flat.  I'm not going to
say it's 100% hackerproof, becuase nothing is ;)  But it's a great start.

Richard Harman