[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT cleanup

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Sep 13 05:26:52 CEST 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 03:55:42AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 07:47:55PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> [...]
> > > ok the obvious solution is to place that in the info stream
> > > its just that the player is probably not going to find these how should it?
> >
> > Looking at index. Or backpointers at syncpoints when seeking without
>
> ok but how exactly should that work, my lets say 3h movie would have 200
> info frames in the index and i would like to know the title(s) of all parts
> what should the player do, read all info frames?

Hmm, I see the problem. But I don't know a good solution. You're good
at these things; maybe you have an idea for making info easy to find
while also allowing dynamic info?

> > > why do we need to add new fields to the table? i see no sense in this
> >
> > Well the spec seemed to imply that we would in the future add new
> > standard fields if they're deemed useful (and otherwise people can use
> > X-Foobar custom fields).
>
> yes, but they dont need to be added to the table ...

Right. I was under the impression thought that if people made useful
extensions, we might eventually give them the holy blessing of NUT and
add them to the official spec without the X-... :) Surely you can
envision new fields becoming important in the future.. Whether they
need their own shortcut id codes, who knows.. maybe it's not
important.

Rich