[MPlayer-dev-eng] Strange vo destination size

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Tue Sep 13 22:52:54 CEST 2005

Since I'm going to be using Swscaler for colorspace conversion in
vf_osd, I decided the best approach would be to scale the OSD image to
mpi dimensions while I'm at it (as opposed to scaling the mpi up to OSD
dimensions each frame).  The approach I want to take is that the OSD
size is d_width by d_height and state in the docs that if the user wants
a predictable OSD size (independent of the movie playing) then he can
scale before vf_osd in the filter chain.

However I've run into this peculiar situation on some of my videos:

        $ mplayer t.avi  -vf scale=640:-2,expand=640:480 | grep -i vo
        VDec: vo config request - 720 x 354 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
        VO: [xv] 640x480 => 641x480 Planar YV12

The dest size is ending up as 641x480.  I'm not sure why it scaling at
all, let alone to an odd size.  But note when I specify dsize afterward,
it's ok:

        $ mplayer t.avi  -vf scale=640:-2,expand=640:480,dsize=640:480 | grep -i vo
        VDec: vo config request - 720 x 354 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
        VO: [xv] 640x480 => 640x480 Planar YV12

FYI:

        $ mplayer t.avi -identify | grep ID_VIDEO
        ID_VIDEO_ID=0
        ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=DIVX
        ID_VIDEO_BITRATE=1769720
        ID_VIDEO_WIDTH=720
        ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT=354
        ID_VIDEO_FPS=23.976
        ID_VIDEO_ASPECT=2.4126

This seems like a bug to me, but I wanted to clarify here first.  Is
this something that needs to be fixed, or is it the case that dsize
should be necessary?

Cheers,
Jason.