[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT cleanup

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Sep 17 20:01:28 CEST 2005

Alexander Strasser wrote:

> I propose the attached patch which modifies the first paragraph of
> semantic requirements section. (I hope it is correct english.)

I see only one problem with the paragraph in question, and that is not
part of your change - to wit:

>  			Semantic requirements
>
> -If more than one stream of a given stream class is present, each one MUST
> +If more than one stream of a given stream class is present, each one SHOULD
>  have info tags specifying disposition, and if applicable, language.
> +It highly improves usability and is therefore strongly encouraged.

The comma after "disposition" should be moved forward one word, to after
"and". The reason is that in this context the commas are being used to
set aside part of the sentence as optional, and the sentence needs to
remain grammatical even if that set-aside segment (currently "and if
applicable") is omitted.

I've looked over some of the NUT patches in the past and haven't found
anything so far wrong as to warrant my speaking up, especially in light
of the arcane technical issues involved which might be messed up by a
slight change in phrasing; I'm not planning on giving an in-depth
going-over to the spec file anytime in the near future, but anyone who
cares can be assured that I haven't noticed anything egregious so far.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.