[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Versioning scheme

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Sat Sep 17 23:45:48 CEST 2005

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 12:34:56AM +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> Hum...
> We do need new versuin numbering.
> Last time not enough people agreed on 1.0.7 (where we just replace
> drop with `.`)
>
> But I do like the idea to have the date in the relase.
> I thought about relative time after first public commit in mplayer
> cvs, but i agree that raw date (without 2000) it much easier.
>
> Anyway, I agree on nearly everything that doesn't start with 0,
> doesn't have "pre" and is not bigger than 7 simbols (for next
> release).

I don't like this whole date thing at all, it offers absoloutely no more
information than the current naming scheme does.

With the current naming scheme, if we deem it worthy, we can change to a
higher version and really make it a milestone. with dates, all version
numbers are totally meaningless. (Actually, since there were so many
rewrites in this version change, maybe we can make it 1.0 ... but it still
needs testing, i say we make a pre-release first......... ;)

Besides, the whole 'pre' thing is considered a running gag for MPlayer and
would just destroy a pleasent easter egg. :)

- ods15