[MPlayer-dev-eng] How to split MPEG-1/2 ( Layer 1, 2, 3) Audio Elementary Stream

shaswata jash shaswata_jash at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 07:11:07 CEST 2005

I want to split MPEG audio elementary streams (ES)  in smaller chunks such a way that each smaller chunk can be played independently by the players. The audio ES is collected from a RTP server . The above splitting is needed as i need to develop a pseudo decoder which will do the splitting work and then pass these independent chunks to a real media player.

I have approached the work in following way: We all know, an MPEG 1/2 audio elementary streams (Layer 1,2,3) are consist of Frame ( where each frame starts with 12 bits of '1'). I have divided the audio ES such a way that each splitted ES contains only one frame. The original audio ES can be played using MPlayer . But when i try to play those splitted ES (which contains only single audio frame) , error is encountered by the player (MPlayer infact not showing any error, but no sound can be heard).

I have already done similar kind of work with video ES. I have splitted a MPEG1/2 video ES in such a way that each splitted ES contains only one GOP. I have added a SEQUENCE HEADER infront of those GOP in splitted file and closed the individual file containing splitted video ES with SEQUENCE_END code (0x000001B7). I can play those splitted video ES with the above mentioned media players.
How can i do the similar type of splitting for audio ES? Please help me.