[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [MPlayer-users] ssa reader for mplayer using vf_overlay

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Sep 28 20:49:24 CEST 2005

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 07:09:06 -0400
Robert Henney <robh at rut.org> wrote:

> I've written a small demonstration of how the vf_overlay filter in
> mplayer can be used to display SSA subtitles from an external reader.

Nice! Though, this rather belongs to -dev-eng than -users :)

> I've been wanting to improve the SSA support in mplayer, and this seemed
> like a good stepping stone method.  Once this project is much further
> along and once I'm more familiar with the mplayer internals I may
> attempt a merge it into the mplayer source.

How about completely rewriting the sub system in MPlayer ?
The current system is limited and doesnt work how it should if
more sophisticated systems are required.

What you would have to do is:
1) Extend -vf expand, so it can draw colored subtitles
2) Extend libvo so, that there is a colored draw function
(yes, this has to be done in libvo for speed reasons. A vf is
nice but is too slow)
3) Rewrite the subreader from scratch, so that it handles
complex subtitles like SSA and the like correctly and uses
the new color draw functions.

Yes, this is a lot of work, especialy point 2, but then it should
not to be too hard to copy the existing draw_alpha in each
function and extend it to handle colors.

			Attila Kinali

--
心をこめて聞け心をこめて話せ