[MPlayer-dev-eng] Make dvd-compatible mpeg's and keyint (gop size)

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Thu Sep 29 13:51:54 CEST 2005

On Thursday 29 September 2005 14:40, byavl wrote:

> Or is it meants that dvd compliants default is not suitable for mpeg4 ?

Correct.

> Really ? And what is better in mpeg4 stuff ?

It's a more advanced codec. More quality for less size.

> But 4.7G against 0.7G - 6.5 times more.
> Now it is ideal variant when good packed stuff covered to mpeg
> container. If it for DVD media then DVD compliant.

A lot of people put mpeg4 stuff on DVD discs, fitting 4 movies or
more on a single disc. There are many players which also play
mpeg4 these days.

> Now already no place for avi containers.

True, and unfortunately mencoder was never designed for anything
except .avi :(

> I want to have 2-3 movie at one DVD storage with great quality from
> mencoder but with DVD compliant. I want to have native DVD disk.

I doubt you can fit 3 movies onto a single DVD using mpeg2 crippled
by DVD compliance.

> Is is surprase but it working.

Indeed :-)

> > -lavdopts preset=dvd

Would need dvd-pal and dvd-ntsc atleast.. Possibly others...