[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] split libmpdvdkit

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Nov 3 22:52:11 CET 2006

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 06:51:48PM +0100, Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>
> >Is there a reason to keep it in mplayer tree anymore? Many distros
> >ship libdvdread anyway...
>
> I'll propose it again: let's make it external

I think it boils down to a policy question: Do we wish to continue
shipping a complete package that contains all or most libs to make for a
complete multimedia player that can handle the most common (and
uncommon) formats?  Or do we wish to become more modular?

Most of the libraries we ship were forked from upstream and more or less
heavily modified at some point.  Many of them were orphaned upstream at
some point.  For many of them this is no longer the case, there are new
maintainers and some are accepting our patches.

I'm undecided about this.  I envision dropping all codec and demuxer
ibraries at the point when FFmpeg has finally surpassed them all in
terms of speed format support and robustness.  The DVD support stuff is
different, since I don't expect a replacement for libdvd* to be
forthcoming.

Opinions?

Diego