[MPlayer-dev-eng] BSD BT848 Radio interface (patch)

Bernd Ernesti mplayer-dev-eng at lists.veego.de
Wed Nov 15 19:39:21 CET 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 11:54:24PM +0600, voroshil at gmail.com wrote:
> RC wrote:
> >
> > If I tune it below 66MHz, then back to a normal station, I get static
> > instead of sound...  This can be corrected by tuning to any frequency in
> > tv:// mode.  It's unable to pick-up any signals below (precisely) 66MHz,
> > despite a couple channels there, which I can tune to in tv:// mode.
> >
> > I don't have the same tuning problem with higher frequencies...
> > However, the highest frequency I was able to recieve with radio://
> > mode was 192MHz, despite numerous higher-frequency channels in tv://
> > mode.
> >
> > I guess 66 - 192 is approximately the limit, at least for my card.
>
> I suggest to keep 87.5-108.0 frequency range for *BSD BT848, because
> *BSD kernel have such limit by default. If anybody wants to change it,
> he needs at least to recompile kernel, so changing range in source code and
> recompilation of MPlayer will not be so hard thing, i think.

Hmm, there are different kind of card which are supported by the bsd
bt848 driver. This is not limited to the FM1246. The FM1236 is also
supported and to quote from this manual:

 The front-end covers the TV bands from 55.25 MHz to 801.25 MHz, inclusive of
 the Japanese TV bands from 91.25 MHz to 765.25 MHz. The FM band covers the
 standard 87.50 MHz to 108.00 MHz and also the Japanese FM band (76.00 MHz to
 91.00 MHz).

Ok, this means that this was not really tested, but it should work.

> It is also possible to add freq_min,freq_max parameters for using with bt848.
> If such parameters need, i suggest to add them as separate patch.

Hmm, do you mean something which could be used as a command line option or
~/.mplayer/conf entry?

> According to above i have two questions:
> 1. Can i apply attached patch with 87.5-108.0 range limit (i also have changeed default
> radio device for bt848 to /dev/tuner0)?

NetBSD uses different major and minor numbers for /dev/radio* and /dev/tuner*

But it seems that we use /dev/tuner too when I look at the xmradio source code.
So it should be ok.

> 2. Does freq_min and freq_max parameters need for bt848?

See my question above. I would like it that way.

Bernd