[MPlayer-dev-eng] Save volume over playlist items

David Bateman adb014 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 12:29:18 CEST 2007

Hi Utoi,

On 4/5/07, Uoti Urpala <uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 01:22 +0200, David Bateman wrote:
> > When mplayer finishes one track in a playlist and go to the next, the
> > audio chain is reinitialized and if the user changed the volume setting
> > from the default, this change is lost. This is very annoying if mplayer
> > is being used for example to play a set of mp3s. This patch saves the
> > volume at the end of a track in the mpctx structure and restores it just
> > before playing the next track.
>
> Whether the change is lost depends on the ao and options. For example
> with an internal volume filter it'll be lost whereas ALSA mixer settings
> will stay.

Is that true? What are the exact options you use to get this behavior? In
any case I can't think of any case where saving the volume across tracks of
a playlist doesn't make sense and so I believe that the volume saving across
the tracks of the playlist should be independent of any commandline options.

What's the point of the code added to uninit_player()? When do you
> intend that to be executed?

At the moment it is only executed on the the call to uninit_player in
exit_player_with_rc. However, for completeness it makes sense to allow the
saved volumen setting to be reset and fall back to the defulat behavior..

The audio chain can be reinited during the playback of one file too if
> you change audio track. I think restoring volume should be part of
> building the audio chain.

Now that makes sense. Where would you suggest adding it? That is if you
agree that there is a need to save the volumne independent of any
commandline options.

It's possible to specify -softvol (which has a separate volume range) as
> a per-file option. I don't know why anyone would do that in practice
> though so maybe breaking it doesn't matter.

Per file? But can it be done with a playlisy in m3u, etc format? In any case
if the volume is changed once the playlist is read, then having a per track
volume setting comes down to forcing the volume back to the default
independent of the changes made by the user.

Cheers
David