[MPlayer-dev-eng] [patch] prefer ALSA over OSS

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Apr 28 18:47:33 CEST 2007

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 16:23:14 +0200
Adrian Bunk <bunk at stusta.de> wrote:

> In Linux kernel 2.6, ALSA is the default sound system.
> It contains an in-kernel OSS emulation, but using ALSA directly is
> better.
>
> MPlayer supports both ALSA and OSS, and this patch changes the order to
> check for ALSA before checking for OSS.

I'm against it.
OSS emulation of ALSA is a lot less error prone than
alsa itself. Yes, you read right. Whom ever i had to
help with sound problems (broken driver system or
A/V sync problems) in the last two years always
had problems with ALSA that were easily solved
by using the OSS emulation.

Don't ask me why, i don't understand how ALSA works.

			Attila Kinali

--
Linux ist... wenn man einfache Dinge auch mit einer kryptischen
post-fix Sprache loesen kann